Back to Article List
Mandatory Water Restrictions
Release Date: August 15, 2005
BOROUGH OF BUTLER WATER DEPARTMENT
The Following Water Restrictions Apply Effective Immediately for all customers:
- The amount of water used shall be the minimum necessary to carry out the activity, no puddling or runoff of water shall occur; and any activity that involves use of a hose shall be performed with a hose that does not leak, and which is equipped with a nozzle that shuts off automatically when the hose is released.
- Vehicles may be washed with a bucket and sponge, or with a hose, but may not be washed with a power washer.
- The use of water for washing impervious surfaces, such as streets, roads, sidewalks, driveways, parking areas, brick walkways, and patios is prohibited.
- Watering of lawns (including athletic fields), trees, shrubs, and vegetable and flower gardens is allowed every other day only, on an "odd-even" basis, with the exceptions set forth below. "Odd/even" watering means that watering may occur on odd numbered days on the side of the street with odd numbered addresses, and on even numbered days on the side of the street with even numbered addresses. Watering shall be performed between the hours of 4AM – 7AM or 7PM – 10PM. Exceptions to odd/even watering restrictions are:
- Watering of a newly planted tree, shrub, flower, or vegetable plant is allowed one time (not once daily) on any day, immediately after planting;
- Daily watering of a newly laid sod lawn or a newly seeded grass lawn is allowed for the first 45 days after planting only, starting on the date of planting or sod laying. Documentation of the date of seed planting or sod laying shall be produced upon the request of the appropriate authorities. This provision does not authorize daily watering of "overseeding", that is, of new sod or seed placed to fill in bare spots in established lawn areas; and
- Daily watering following treatment of vegetation with a fertilizer, pesticide or herbicide is allowed for two days only, starting on the date that the fertilizer, pesticide or herbicide is applied. Documentation of the date that the treatment was applied shall be produced upon the request of the appropriate authorities. Watering under this provision is allowed no more often than once every three weeks.
- Washing of buildings (including houses, garages, sheds, commercial buildings, and similar structures), decks, fences, lawn furniture, windows, and similar outdoor use of water for home maintenance and cleaning is restricted as follows:
- The homeowner may use only a bucket and sponge for home maintenance and cleaning, or a hose that does not leak and is equipped with a nozzle that shuts off automatically when released; except that a homeowner may use their own power washer if necessary to prepare a surface for painting, staining, or other coating or treatment;
- The homeowner may hire a commercial power washer to perform any of the home maintenance and cleaning authorized under this subsection.