Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Borough Clerk
  • Licenses
    • How Do I Get A Marriage License?


      1.   Either the Bride or Groom or Applicant A or B must live in Butler, and provide proof of residence such as a current, valid photo drivers license or photo non drivers license or a utility bill or bank statement issued within the last 90 days.
      2.   All applicants must provide either a birth certificate or a passport. Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
      3.   A witness who is 18 or older, knows both applicants and must speak and understand English fluently. If the witness is to be used as a translator they may not be a family member. 
      4.   If either applicant has been previously married, in a domestic partnership or a civil union, proof of dissolution must be provided such as a divorce decree, certified copy of a death certificate or dissolution of a civil union or domestic partnership. 
      5.   There is a 72 hour waiting period from the time of completion of the application until the license may be issued.
      6.   The name, address and telephone number of the officiant (person who is performing the ceremony) must be provided.
      7.   A $28.00 fee which is payable by either cash or check, check should be made payable to the Borough of Butler.
      8.   Marriage/Civil Union License Applications are taken Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

      For a Marriage License please contact the Borough Clerk:
      Contact Borough Clerk at 973-838-7200 ext. 226 to set up an appointment.  Or email the Clerk at

Butler Power and Light
  • Electric Department
    • What are your hours?
      Our hours are Monday thru Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
    • Where do I send my payments?
      You may place your payment in the night drop (payments placed in the night drop after 8:30 am will post on the next buisness day), make payment at the electric counter, pay online at or mail payments to:   Electric Department
                                                                          1 Ace Road
                                                                          Butler, NJ 07405
    • How do I know if I have a credit on my account?
      You have a credit on your account when there is a minus (-) sign before thetotal amount on your bill. The amount that the bill says is a credit to your account and does not need to be paid.
    • Are meter deposits required?
      Yes, meter deposits are required for all tenants. The new tenant must come to the office to fill out a W9 form. Meter deposits are required within 7 days of the move-in date or else electric will be disconnected and there will be a $65 reconnect fee. In order for electric to be restored to a location, the $65 reconnect charge and the meter deposit amount must be paid in full.
    • If I've made payment in the night drop, do I still run the risk of being disconnected?
      Yes. Our crews begin disconnecting power at 7AM and our office does not open until 8AM, so you run the risk of being disconnected that day.
    • When I pay the amount on my delinquent notice, why do I still carry a balance?
      When you pay your delinquent notice, you only pay what was DELINQUENT, not the amount to make your account up to current.
Municipal Court
Zoning Department
  • Licenses
    • Do I Need a Building or Zoning Permit?

      The work listed below requires a Building Permit ONLY (apply in Bloomingdale only):

      • Roof repairs or replacement
      • Siding
      • Hot water heaters
      • Furnaces
      • Windows
      • Remodeling kitchen or bathrooms
      • Renovating interior rooms
      • Oil tank removal
      • Demolition

      The work listed below requires a Zoning Permit ONLY (apply in Butler only):

      • Driveway installation
      • Fences – 6 feet or shorter
      • Sheds – smaller than 100 square feet

      The work listed below requires a Zoning Permit (First), then a Building Permit (Second):

      • All new construction
      • Additions
      • Decks and porches
      • Pools and hot tubs
      • Fences over 6 feet in height
      • Sheds 100 square feet or larger
      • Garages
      • Converting areas into new uses (ex: Basement into family room, bedroom, etc.)
      • Central Air Conditioning with an outside condenser

      These requirements are for residential properties.
      Non-residential properties will always need a Zoning Permit.