Marriage License Requirements
- Marriage License Requirements
REQUIREMENTS FOR A MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION LICENSE
- The Ceremony MUST take place in New Jersey.
- One of the applicants must live in Butler and provide proof of residence such as a current, valid, photo drivers license or a utility bill or bank statement issued in last 90 days.
- All applicants must provide either a valid drivers license, birth certificate or passport. Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- A witness 18 years of age or older; knows both applicants and must speak and understand English fluently. If a witness is to be used to translate, they may NOT be a family member.
- Both applicants MUST be 18 a minimum of 18 years of age.
- If either applicant has been previously married, in a domestic partnership or a civil union, proof of dissolution must be provided such as a divorce decree, certified copy of a death certificate or dissolution of a civil union or domestic partnership.
- There is a 72 hour waiting period from the time of completion of the application until the license may be issued.
- The name, address and telephone number of the officiant (person who is performing the ceremony) must be provided.
- All fees have been waived as of July 2022.
- Marriage/Civil Union License Applications are taken Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
For a Marriage License please contact the Borough Clerk:
Contact Borough Clerk at 973-838-7200 ext. 226 to set up an appointment. Or email the Clerk at Clerk@butlerborough.com