Building and Zoning Permits, Which Do I Need?
- Building and Zoning Permits, Which Do I Need?
Building Permits and Zoning Permits
Which Do You Need?
The Borough of Butler has entered into a shared services agreement with Bloomingdale Borough Building Department.
Therefore, all Building permits will be applied for and issued from Bloomingdale Borough Hall
and all Zoning Permits will be applied for and issued from Butler Borough Hall.
Butler Zoning Department Web Page
Bloomingdale Building Department Web Page
Changes in the state Construction Code no longer require building permits for the following:
· Roof repairs or replacement
· Replacement Windows as long as there is no change in size
The work listed below requires a Building Permit Only. (To be obtained at Bloomingdale Borough Hall)
· All Mechanical Equipment: such as Hot Water Heaters, Furnaces, Roof-top Solar Panels
· Remodeling kitchen or bathrooms
· Renovating interior rooms
· Oil tank removal
The work listed below requires a Zoning Permit Only. (To be obtained at Butler Borough Hall)
· Driveway installation or expansion
· Fences - 6 feet or shorter
· Sheds - 200 square feet or less
· Storage Containers (PODS)
· Gyms/Play Sets
The work listed below requires a Zoning Permit (To be obtained at Butler Borough Hall) then a Building Permit (To be obtained at Bloomingdale Borough Hall)
· All new construction
· Decks and Porches
· Pools and Hot Tubs
· Fences over 6 feet in height (Planning Board approval is required for such fence heights)
· Accessory buildings greater than 200 square feet
· Sheds 200 square feet or less if having electric service brought to the shed
· Converting areas into new uses (ex: Basement into family rooms, bedrooms, etc.)
· Central Air Conditioning with an outside condenser
· Emergency Generators
These requirements are for one and two family residential properties.
Multi-family and non-residential properties always need a Zoning Permit & Building Permit